Thursday, June 4, 2009

Full Moon 5k



So, I've gotten a little backed-up. Time to give an update on past races. On May 9th, Mark and I ran the Full Moon 5k. (Called that b/c the Full Moon bar is the sponsor.) I finally suckered Mark into running a race with me. I told him I'd go easy on him, and actually run at his pace versus running at mine. The day started out a little cool and overcast, but it made for enjoyable running conditions. After Mark and I strapped on our timing chips and met some friends that were running as well, we headed towards the starting line at Veterans Park. Mark was a little nervous considering this was his first race to ever run. I was so proud that he was at least going through with it. The gun sounded, and we were off. We started out heading up a small incline (I didn't notice it, but Mark informed me off the hill especially since I swore there would be no hills), then made our way onto Riverside. It was a pleasant view of Zink Lake. Mark and I ran and walked. I tried holding a conversation, but Mark wasn't in the mood. I told him to give me a hand signal when he needed to stop running and start walking. I'm not going to lie, it killed me to run so slow and especially to walk. Mark kept informing me that this race was not about me, but about US. So, I stayed by his side the whole time. In the last half mile, Mark ran across an old high school friend. They chatted it up to the finish. Each trying to motivate the other to finish before an hour. I informed them that our chances were good of making it in under 45 minutes and even 40 minutes. They both agreed to push it out hard at the end. Once again, there was groaning as we had to cross the hill again towards the finish line. With the last bit of yardage ahead of us, I took off in a dead sprint for the finish, but just before crossing, I turned back because I promised Mark we would cross the finish together. And we did! Our finish time was 38:16. I was so proud of Mark! He could barely walk and wanted to curse me, but later informed me that he was glad he did that race. He actually had fun doing it. I looked about as happy as a mother watching her baby take its first step! He was sore for about a week after the race, but did somewhat agree to running another 5k in the future. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I think that was awesome to run with your husband. Having an understanding spouse is very important because running takes so much time, effort, and money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it does. I think it gave Mark a bit more insight into why I run, and why I love running!

    ReplyDelete