Where to begin? I guess I'll start by thanking Ashley for getting me hooked back up with blogging. I used to keep a blog on xanga, which is probably still accessible, but haven't contributed anything in a couple years. With all of Ashley's updates on her running, I decided to start blogging again about my running. So, here goes....
This is my life...in the fast lane.
Yes, I actually happen to enjoy running. I know that probably sounds bizarre, and non-runners cannot comprehend how some people actually like to run. But I am a big fan! To me running is not just exercise. It is a chance to catch up with my runner girls (more on them later), take a break from life for a period of time, destress, vent, and just enjoy nature.
Let's start with how I became a runner. I was never a runner. I did not get my start as a track star. I ran the hurdles in the 7th and 8th grade....that pretty much sums up my track and running days. It was not until I started college that I began running. A friend and I carpooled to college. She was a high school trackster. We decided to hit the gym between classes. I knew I wanted to get in some kind of shape, but I was not interested in running. My friend would encourage me to at least walk on the treadmill. I would walk beside her while she ran. This went on for a while, then one day I decided to try running. My biggest fear was not whether I could do it, but how I would look while doing it. I was afraid people would laugh and make fun of the way I ran (mental image of Phoebe running on an episode of Friends). I finally went for it. I was only able to do a couple minutes. It was exhausting. I was so out of breath. I decided to keep trying it, though, and little-by-little I was able to extend my running from a couple of minutes to 10 minutes to running a complete mile. After about a year, my friend and I stopped carpooling, but I found a new running partner--my boss.
To me she was a "real" runner. And by "real" runner I mean she ran almost everyday and not just on a treadmill...gulp...sometimes she ran OUTSIDE. Outside!? Why? A treadmill has anything I could ever need or want. She also ran races! This was really exciting to me, and she talked me into preparing for my first 5k. I actually ran some with her outside, but I did most of my training on the treadmill (unbeknownst to me that I needed more outside running). And in November of 2004 I ran my first 5k. Believe it or not, but I actually won first place in my age group of 20-25 year-olds. I was so excited, but afraid at the same time that I had set myself up for failure in future races. The race was fun, but I was not real interested in continuing a racing career so I went back to just running my couple miles on the treadmill.
In 2006 I hit a wall. I was tired of running. I wanted nothing to do with it. So, I took a hiatus. Towards the end of '06 I started wanting to run again. We had treadmills at the apartment and so I started back on them. Then, one day I decided to run outside. Something inside me clicked, and I began wondering why I had not been running outside before then. So, I found a trail around Hafer Park in Edmond where I could easily go and run right after work. I would take my running clothes with me so I had no excuse not to run. I started running nearly everyday again. I was doing at least 3 miles, but if I had a good day I would try for 5 or 6, but those days were rare. I gradually got stronger and realized how great I felt from running outside. I tried using a treadmill again, and became so frustrated with staying in one place that I swore off treadmills. Then, I decided to start trying races again. I signed up for my first one in March and began training for it. I ran the Cameron Aggies 5k on March 3, 2007 and won 1st place in my age division. I then did Run the Boulevard 5k on March 31, 2007 and came in 4th in my age division. I took a month off and raced in the AG Bell Talk/Walk/Run 5k on May 19 and won 1st in my age division and was the 2nd female finisher overall. Then I started the Summer Sunset Series which had a race on the first Friday evening of June, July, and August. So, I did the June 1 race and won 2nd place in my age. That was the race that I completed in 24 minutes flat. I was really excited! I did not run the July race of that series, and instead ran the Midnight Streak 5k on July 27. I did really lousy in this race and do not know where I finished, but I had fun running. It was neat because it was the first race I had done at night. We started around 11, and they had festivities for us afterwards. That was the biggest group of people I had ever seen at a race. Then, on August 3, I ran the last race of the Summer Sunset Series and won 1st place in my age division. That was the last of my racing. I was getting burned out again, so I had to take another hiatus. I still kept up the running, but decided to stop racing for a while. Plus, I started setting my sights on bigger races. I signed up for a 10k the following spring, but was sidelined with a running injury in the groin that unfortunately still plagues me, because I do not know when to say "no" to my body.
On January 1, 2008, I wrote down two New Year's resolutions. The first was to complete the OKC Memorial Half-Marathon, and the second was to complete the Nike Women's Marathon in California. I started doing some of the hardest training for the half-marathon. I was still facing burn out while having to go out and run for at least an hour to an hour and a half by myself when I had absolutely no motivation. I struggled through it, and on April 27, 2008, I ran my first half-marathon and completed it in 2:08:36. I was really happy to have completed such a fete. The full marathon plans fell through, because for the first time the Nike Women's Marathon group decided there were too many participants so they used a lottery to pick runner's name. My name did not get picked. This was probably a blessing in disguise. After having completed the half I really did not know where I would get the motivation to run an extra 13.1 miles. So, I decided to do another half, and on November 15, 2008 I ran the Tulsa Route 66 Half-Marathon. I completed this race in 2:11:13. I was hoping to break 2 hours, but due to another running rut and lack of motivation on the course coupled with much cooler running weather and a ridiculous hill near the end, I was not able to accomplish it.
At the beginning of January, I decided to move to Tulsa to be closer to Mark. Thankfully, through his group of friends I met Megan. At a group bowling get-together one night, she and I began talking about running. I was thrilled to have finally met another person with a passion for running as I had. She informed me that she had joined a running group and was training for her first half-marathon. She told me that the running group was free, so I decided to join and see what became of it. She then introduced to me another girl--Ashley--the person to blame for this horrendously long blog! After setting the two of us up on a running date, I became hooked.
Which brings me to present day. From the big group of runners, there are 4 of us that have formed our own little group. There's Kelly, Ashley, Megan, and me. We're all similar in age and speed (although they sometimes want to kill me for trying to push the pace a bit). I actually look forward to running more than I ever have in my life! Meeting my girls give me the chance to run and talk, which I never thought was actually possible and envied people that could do it. To me each of these girls has something to offer. I love listening to Kelly inform us about her house hunting, and get excited when she's found a possibility. We're always kidding Ashley for trying to sneak in extra mileage. Thanks, Ashley, I know there are times I need that push to do another mile. Megan brings Pete (her dog) along on runs. She also sprints with me at the end. I have a feeling I will slowly get those girls to sprint at the end! Haha...perhaps wishful thinking. These girls give me an opportunity to just relax and enjoy the run, but also give me the push that I need. Plus, I've never gotten as much attention running by myself as I get when running with them. We get honked at on almost a daily basis. One day we passed a little girl who said to Ashley and me, "Hey, runner girls." I think the name stuck. We are the runner girls, and I can always rely on somebody from our group to go running. I have been running and training with them since January. I was planning on another return to the OKC Memorial half. Kelly and Ashley are running the full, and through their special running powers talked me into doing the full with them. Unfortunately, about 3 weeks ago I had a set back in training. I acquired achilles tendinitis which has sidelined me. I am stubborn when it comes to injuries and do not fully take the time off to recuperate. I have found tricks to allow me to continue running, but my plans for running the full marathon have had to take a back seat. I am still planning on running the half-marathon. My goal is to finish in 2 hours flat. I know it is attainable, and once I have accomplished this goal, I feel I will be able to move up to a marathon.
I know this one blog has detailed more about my running career than anyone probably has ever cared to know! But this is my life...in the fast lane, and I wouldn't want it any other way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Kace,
ReplyDeleteI typed up three medical reports, washed, dried, and folded two loads of laundry, gave Buddy a bath after we walked four miles, and wrote an equally long email to Debbie--all while reading your blog--it was that long. lol Just kidding. I really enjoyed reading it. It sounds impressive. I hope my running blog will sound as good as yours some day. Let me see..."My first race was a one-mile 'fun run' with a bunch of little kids..." haha I've got a lot of work to do.
That anonymous was me...Mom.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sending me this link! It's so funny because I remember so much of the early stories of you running- and your first race too! Do you ever talk to Sheri? I figured you would have stayed in touch because of the common interest. It sounds like you've met some awesome girls in Tulsa and I look forward to reading more!
ReplyDeleteHey, Runner Girl! I loved it! Keep it coming. We need to put in the lottery for Nike Womens for 2010 when it opens. We need to complete that goal for sure!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry this one was sooo long! At least I warned ya beforehand!
ReplyDelete